Affirmations – How to Make Them Real
Do affirmations really work? If they do, how do you make them work? Both are great questions and the answer to
the first question is yes, and the answer to the second question is, to believe.
Scratching your head still? Well, let me explain how you make affirmations real, for you.
Let’s start with what an affirmation is. An affirmation is, something declared to be true; a positive statement
or judgment. For example, “I can lose weight.” or “I will have a great day today.”
So, what is the purpose, why do it? We tend to be naturally hardwired to think negatively. We think and believe
things that are not helpful and usually make it harder to be successful. For example, “I just can’t do it.” or “I
can just tell it is going to be a crappy day.”
And have you ever noticed, by thinking those thoughts, you don’t do things and you do end up having a crappy
day?? So, you have to change the way you think, and the best way to do that is create affirmations to alter your
way of thinking.
By changing the way you think and making it more positive you will notice that you will, in general, feel
better, you will be more able to stay focused, and you will be more motivated to achieve your goals.
To make affirmations real for you here are a couple tips to keep in mind:
1. Your affirmations should be in your own words, to make them more personal and more tailored for what you
want to accomplish.
2. Your affirmation should be as detailed as possible. The more detail the more focused you can be on what
you are trying to accomplish. Saying, “I can lose weight” is OK, but a better one would be, “I will lose 10 lbs. by
my birthday,” is much better. You not only state how much you want to lose, but also by when.
3. Your affirmations should always be stated in a positive manor. You need to say, “Today is going to be a
great day!” instead of “Today won’t be as bad as it was yesterday.”
4. Always say your affirmations at least twice a day and try to find a nice quiet time, each time. You need
to show yourself and your mind that they are important and that is why you take time out to give them their
5. You have to believe you can do it, so say your affirmations with confidence, desire and conviction. If
you whisper them or just say them in passing they have no value and you will not even believe yourself.
6. Practice, and live them, every day.
Affirmations can absolutely be real for you, but you have to create affirmations that are detailed so you can
stay motivated and focused.
You also have to live them and practice saying them every day. And most importantly, if you want to make
affirmations real for you, you have to believe you can do it, you can obtain your goal.